Let’s get this straight – Scandinavia is not cheap. A lot of people, even those in Europe, think of Copenhagen as an expensive city, and while that’s not entirely untrue, smart travelers always find a way or other to save money in the Danish capital. So, if you are planning a trip to Copenhagen and would want to save some money, here are some tips to consider.
- Skip the hotel. Instead of staying in cramped hotel rooms, consider booking one of the holiday apartments in Copenhagen city centre. If you are traveling in a group of 10, booking a nice penthouse will make more sense than staying in five hotel rooms. Some of the amazing rental and serviced apartments are located in Østerbro (Copenhagen East).
- Take the bike ride. Did you know that Copenhagen is one of the most bike-friendly cities in the entire world? You can rent a bike here at really affordable prices, and that’s how half the population goes to work here. You can find nice lanes all around the city, and some bikes even have tablets with GPS. Keep in mind that cabs and rental cars can be expensive, so if you are fit enough, you can save quite some money.
- Find the free things. If you want to avoid the expensive places, good news is you can find some really cool things to do in the city for free. For instance, you can take a walk of Nyhavn harbor area for free or of Freetown Christiania.
- Try cheap food stalls at Papirøen. If you are a fan of great food but don’t want to spend fine dining, head to Paper Island or Papirøen, which has like many stalls with food choices from different parts of the world. Nordic cuisine doesn’t have to be expensive, and most restaurants in the city have “menu of the day”, so check that out.
- Get the Copenhagen Card. In case you don’t want to spend huge on every attraction, get the Copenhagen Card, which offers free admission and entry to over 80 places, including castles. You can actually save a considerable amount with the card, which almost covers all the important places.
We hope you found the post helpful. To make the most of your stay and tickets, always book in advance, and don’t shy away from comparing all the attractions to select ones that interest you the most.